Thursday, October 15, 2009

A little bit about Opening Night

The whole experience was a little surreal. Opening was the first time I allowed myself to be part of the audience rather than an observer of it, as I'd been hiding up in the balcony all through previews. I was sitting amongst an audience filled with people experiencing True Love Lies for the very first time. Strangers on either side of me were laughing, a man in front of me covered his mouth in shock as the play's first surprise -- and then kept it there for most of the show. I felt like an undercover spy, and there was a glow of satisfaction with each remarkable reaction.

The actors were on. They gave a great performance, integrating the conversations from the past few days of rehearsal, while continuing to find new moments and discoveries on their feet. I was so very proud, as traditionally on Opening Night it is not only considered acceptable, but is almost assumed, that nerves will get the best of you. Our whole team was calm, cool and collected and gave what I thought was our best show to date - particularly in act two.

It was, however, a bit bittersweet as Brad was too ill to attend. He dropped by the theatre early in the afternoon to give the actors some final thoughts to carry with them into the performance, went home to take a nap, and did not wake up until quarter past 8 still feeling terrible. At his request, I called him at intermission, and then again at the play's conclusion to let him know how everything went. We toasted him in the greenroom and at the party following the performance.

What a truly celebratory evening. The Factory is such a warm, cosy place - both the people who work there, and the environment they work to create. I felt a true sense of pride and honour to be part of not just a fantastic production, but a great company as well.

Though most of my responsibilites have now been fulfilled, I refuse to leave just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment